[NBLUG/talk] The Debian Way

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Fri Oct 28 11:49:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, October 28, 2005 10:40, Chris Palmer wrote:

> Andrew writes:
>
>> If you're having trouble with the default graphical environmnet, you
>> may want to have a look at Enlightenment. No, wait. Try XFce4. On
>> second thought, maybe IceWM. No, no! I've got it: Blackb... no
>> Fluxbox. Hold it. Now I'm thinking AfterStep or possibly LarsWM. Ok,
>> ok, Sawfish! Sawfish is the one. Unless you think you might like 9wm
>> more. Or GNUStep, maybe? That, of course, is usually paired with
>> WindowMaker...
>
> You forgot twm. :) You may call me a pervert, but I love it.

olvwm.  THAT's perverse.
And, I love my pet perversions, too...  ;)

More seriously, I'm unimpressed with flashy graphics;
kewlness-factor isn't my cuppa.  Stability and functionality
are.

I find that fancy onscreen graphics obscure details and info
that I *do* want, and of course the latest KeW1 pH347urZ are
(by definition of "latest") most prone to being unstable.

<shrugs>

Every time I've gone for it, olvwm has come up quickly, cleanly,
with at least 95% of the featureset that I *do* want, and none
of the distractions and annoyances I don't want.  And it's stable;
I think I once ran for over a year of uptime without ever leaving
the GUI or having it lock up on me, despite the fact that I was
routinely re-defining my onscreen menus, resetting between 9 - 16 -
20 Virtual Screens, and usually keeping 20-50 individual windows
open at any given time.  Screenlock at night, and everything's just
the way I left it the next morning.

- Steve S.
  (not that I think olvwm is perfect -- I've begun seeing, in the
   past 2-3 years, some new features that I wish olvwm had...)

- Steve S.