[NBLUG/talk] Finding tkl.h

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 20:00:19 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've been trying to build an app that uses TK for its GUI (the program
itself is written in C++). When I run make, it chokes when it can't
find tcl.h. tcl.h is sitting in /usr/include/tcl8.4 (and
/usr/include/tcl8.3).

So, how do I tell g++ where tcl.h is? I'm not really that familiar
with makefiles (he he, at the JC they taught C++ under Windows within
an IDE...), but there seems to be a variable declared with the value
"-ltcl -ltk". I can't find the -l option actually documented in the
gcc man page (geez that's a sucky man page...), but it seems to refer
to -l as an option for including libraries. OK, but that doesn't tell
g++ where to include them *from*.

So, at this point I'm guessing that the solution is probably as simple
as setting an environment variable, but so far I'm not sure what it
is. The man page mentions a few environment variables for library
paths, but so far I haven't made any headway by tweaking them.

So, any ideas at this point? Oh, yes, this is under Debian Sarge (a
really really outdated install...), and the application in question is
EmuLegOS (yes, a really obscure program; you can find it on
SourceForge).

Anyway, I've spent enough time going in circles with Bash and VI
(though I'm slowly learning the makefile format, without even reading
a single how-to!). :-P

TIA,
William