[NBLUG/talk] Request for hardware and distro recommendations

Liz Young liz at kandew.com
Wed Apr 26 19:06:25 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 12:33, Roger House wrote:
> 3.  What Linux distro is recommended?
>
> My primary aim here is to learn Linux and associated software from
> the ground up from hands-on experience.  I should say that I'm a
> software developer who has been around since punch-card days (you
> know all those old greybeards who show up at NBLUG meetings?  I'm one
> of them) so I have some technical background.
>
> Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm pretty happy running Xubuntu on an old laptop (600Mhz-256Mb RAM).
It comes with the XFce desktop environment, and access to thousands of
packages from the (Debian based) Ubuntu repositories.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/dapper/beta/

If you want a more hands-on approach to learning and compiling your own
packages I recommend Zenwalk, another XFce distro based on Slackware.
Used to be called MiniSlack.  It's fast.
http://zenwalk.org

-Liz