[NBLUG/talk] shred questionj

jimbo jimbo at sonic.net
Sat Aug 12 13:02:19 PDT 2006

To the person asking about donating a pooter, the person you seek MAY be
'linuxnut.' I've seen his posts on the sonic.* ngs..

	Anyway, I got interested in this shred pgm. While reading the info
file about it, I ran across this in the options:

-u'
--remove'
     After shredding a file, truncate it (if possible) and then remove
     it.  If a file has multiple links, only the named links will be
     removed.

	Which makes no sense to me. Why truncate the file AFTER it's been
shredded (or really deleted) and then remove it? Huh? Remove it? You mean,
like 'rm filename?' But I thought that file had already been shredded? I
guess the multiple links thing is (more or less) self explanatory. Only how
can a file have an UNNAMED link?

jimbo at sonic.net

"My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform
had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt."