[NBLUG/talk] SRJC cources

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Wed Dec 6 16:57:23 PST 2006

Hi,

I think this is a very good question, I have posed it to the CIS department
many times in the past in many different ways..sometimes I think they got
sick of my candor..  I think my buddy Sean Kirkpatrick brought it up again
today on our CIS department mailing list... something about not opening up
Word docs for fear of attack and how we should try alternatives like Open
Office.  I tried to get a Linux Desktop course going through community
courses that introduced all the desktop applications, but it never flew.

I think the answer lies somewhere between market, marketing, student
population, politics, tenure, change, fear, choice, Adobe, ; ).  Enrollment
tanked in 2001 when I was writing the Linux Admin courses, I taught them
every semester until 2003 I believe.. until enrollment really hit bottom...
Since then we have had bare minimum offerings.

There really hasn't been anything new offered for quite some time.... there
still isn't IMHO....  On to bigger and better things...  I have an 80 seat
Asterisk VOIP implementation in a couple of weeks.  More Linux into the
server room, knocked out two Doze boxes with 1 fell swoop and replacing more
of them with VMWare server running on the Penguin Computing 1U.

--
Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
CTO Alliance Medical Center