[NBLUG/talk] Certifications: Unix, Linux, ITIL, Mac

Bill Collins collinwf at sonic.net
Sat Dec 9 14:36:40 PST 2006

I have the Foundation certification.

The company I used to work for required all managers to become certified.
They brought in a third party trainer (HP) and marched us all through the
course. Which was interesting because we were a direct competitor to HP in
the consulting world (lots of NDA's floating around on that one). We were
pursuing ISO certification and standardization as a company. This was one
aspect of that process.

If I had stayed with that company they probably would have sponsored me to
pursue the management level certification as well. They were an IT
Outsourcing provider.

It is interesting that Lucas is specifying ITIL for a desk top support
position. There is no harm in training to that level, but it is expensive
for a company if they try to train in-house. If Lucas has embraced the ITIL,
knowing how the pieces fit together is a good thing for all employees. This
type of certification is indicative of the professional evolution of IT
within many organizations. We can't just be the geeky guys anymore. We have
to be cognizant of the business side. ITIL frames the whole process of
incident and problem management in a very structured fashion so that IT
shops can mature past the reboot and make it go away (until next time) style
of support.

Many publicly held companies are under ever increasing scrutiny from outside
auditors. IT has become a major area of interest to many auditing firms. It
used to be that auditors just wanted to know if you made backups of your
data. Now they are more savvy and will drill into your operations.

This particular certification is a differentiator not a disqualifier.