[NBLUG/talk] OT: Anyone ever replaced a battery in a UPS?

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Mon Dec 11 10:39:38 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 08:45:44PM -0800, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 06:18:11PM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
> > What's the best way to test a UPS?  I don't have any sort of voltmeter
> > or whatever (but if that's what I need, I'm off to Radio Shack).
> > Obviously, battery-time is dependant on how many things you have plugged
> > into it, but is there a way to quantify how much juice a charged UPS can
> > deliver?
>
> Plug a 100watt incandescent light into the UPS.  Definitely not halogen and
> possibly not fluorescent...  Unplug the UPS from power and see how long it
> goes.
>
> Technically this isn't the same kind of load as a computer will place on it,
> so even if you matched the wattage of light bulbs to the computer load you'd
> be putting on it, you shouldn't assume that the runtimes will be exactly the
> same; but you'll have a decent idea, at least.

I know it's monday morning, so this post may have no value -- but some
higher-end UPS's have been able to predict their runtime "at current load"
(whatever it is at the time), and this can be retrieved over its
serial/usb/Ethernet/whathaveyou...

A manual for the unit(s) would certainly help, and I'll bet you can get a pdf off the
net. :)

 -Scott