[NBLUG/talk]playing DVD's in debian stable

Mark Janes 707mjanes at comcast.net
Tue Dec 12 12:48:15 PST 2006

Jan,

   I recently purchased an H-P LightScribe DVD writer internal IDE
drive, and it works very well. There are even Linux-based LightScribe
applications out there, which work OK. I personally feel you have fewer
problems overall if you go with well-known names in hardware whenever
possible. Also H-P has a relatively good track record of supporting the
Linux community while my experience has been that off-brand
manufacturers sometimes are tied too closely to M$ and either
accidentally or intentionally design things to be hostile to non-M$
OS'es. My previous DVD drive was an old Samsung which was OK but dated
back to the late 90s, and I wanted to be able to burn DVD's (because
they hold a lot more data). Also it was on sale at CompUSA for around
$60 which was less than their store-brand plain DVD burner (without a
lot of the features this drive has). For a lower-cost and/or used drive
you might try eBay or a search through Froogle.com (google's shopping
search engine), or in the brick-and-mortar world, PC Club or some of the
used computer shops in Santa Rosa or Rohnert Park. BTW, it looks as
though once you get a good DVD drive your software *should* allow you to
play DVD's. If possible, try playback with an older  DVD first as
they're less likely to have weird features in their encryption than a
brand-new DVD. Good luck and happy DVD viewing. ;-)

Mark Janes