[NBLUG/talk] Home Linux Server

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Wed Dec 13 17:22:31 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 05:04:04PM -0800, Nat W. wrote:
 > Thanks walter and frank, these are great places to start, I think I'll
 > definitely use only ssh.
 >
 > In terms of domain hosting, my domain is hosted at nydomain.com, which
 > claims to have free dns management, which I assume is what I need? How would
 > I link lets say http://ssh.natwelch.com to my ssh server? Or is this
 > something that is different dependant by host?
 >
 > /Nat

I assume nydomain is a typo and you mean mydomain.com.  I used them a
few years back, and they sucked.  They were not reliable.  Niether their
email servers nor their DNS.  I have most of my domains at godaddy.com
now, but there are other good places like namecheap.com, or gandi.net.

You can use any subdomain you can think of.  ssh.natwelch.com is fine,
so is porkrinds.natwelch.com.

You just setup the dns for that subdomain to point to the IP address.
http:// is for a web address (http protocol), it's not used for ssh.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us