[NBLUG/talk] Home Linux Server

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Dec 13 17:37:37 PST 2006

> I assume nydomain is a typo and you mean mydomain.com.  I used them a
> few years back, and they sucked.  They were not reliable.  Niether their
> email servers nor their DNS.  I have most of my domains at godaddy.com
> now, but there are other good places like namecheap.com, or gandi.net.
>
> You can use any subdomain you can think of.  ssh.natwelch.com is fine,
> so is porkrinds.natwelch.com.
>
> You just setup the dns for that subdomain to point to the IP address.
> http:// is for a web address (http protocol), it's not used for ssh.

The problem is, stock DNS doesn't account for dynamic IP addresses. You
could easily change it whenever it changes, but dynamic DNS where the DNS
server actively checks you're IP an changes it for you is more along the
lines of what you'll need. I'd imagine that they'd run some app on one of
you're machines that "phones home" every once in a while so they can check
you're IP address.

Also if you're trying to do it with static DNS you should probably set the
TTL (Time to life) or how long the information is considered fresh to
something short like 1 hour so that when you change the DNS you will be
able to use it in an hour or so.

--
This would be real cute NSFW tagline, but I'm married and would get killed.