[NBLUG/talk] Home Linux Server

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 15:24:10 PST 2006

David Rosenstrauch wrote on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:40:09 -0500:

> FWIW, I've been using DynDNS for several years now, and can
> definitely chime in a thumbs up about them.  The service
> works, they're reliable, and they're set-it-and-forget-it.  (I
> haven't had to manually log in there probably in like a
> year.)  Oh yeah, and it's free (as in beer). What more could
> you ask for?
>
> BTW, I also recommend using the ddclient daemon
> (http://ddclient.sf.net) to keep the dynamic dns service
> updated.  The daemon is reliable, very easy to configure, and
> again just set and forget.  (And they include a sample
> configuration for DynDNS, I might add.)

I'll give another "thumbs up" to DynDNS.org.

I had a look at ddclient and it looks quite good. Almost
identical, in fact, to the client I've been using: ipcheck.py
( http://ipcheck.sf.net/ ). I like the fact that they both can
poll my router's status page to get the external IP address. I
have one question to ask of ddclient users, though (I found no
information on the ddclient site): will ddclient force an update
of the DynDNS account after twenty-something days even if the IP
address has not changed in that time? This is kind of important
because DynDNS.org free accounts will expire after 35 days of
inactivity. (The DynDNS.org clients built in to many routers
(including mine) suffer from this problem.)

A.