[NBLUG/talk]OT-120V car adapter

Mark Janes 707mjanes at comcast.net
Sat Dec 23 20:07:35 PST 2006

Mark,

FWIW, I've travelled all over the West over the past few summers and
when I'm somewhere without 120V power, I've been using a power inverter
rated at 175 watts continuous output. I paid about $40 for it new. It'll
run my IBM 770 sleep-pad: if not for Linux it'd be totally useless, but
it's enough to do what I need out of a computer on the road. Anyhow,
Eric has a very good point: why go through all those steps
(14.4VDC->120VAC->18 or 24 or whatever VDC) when a more direct adapter
would make more sense? To that end I poked around for about ten minutes
and found laptopsaver.com. They list four different adapters for your
machine, but they all are $38.85. Hope this helps ;)

Mark Janes