[NBLUG/talk] HotSync difficulty

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 2 12:49:44 PST 2006

First of all, I should mention that I ended up exchanging the Palm Z22 for a
Palm TX this afternoon, as the Z22 quickly proved inadequate for what I
wanted to do.

It seems that every new PDA on the market is set up by default to sync via a
USB cable.  My old Palm m515 came with a USB cradle, but I later ordered a
Serial cradle, since at the time it was practically impossible to use a USB
cradle under Linux.  Well, I've been able to find two success stories about
being able to sync a Palm TX with a Linux system, but one provided no details
(no e-mail address, either!), and the other was from someone who wasn't sure
how he got it to work.

I suppose I could hook up the Palm TX to a Windows computer with a modified
USB cable and do a bit of packet sniffing to make a working sync driver, but
I just don't have the time (and I don't know if I have the patience, either).
So I'm thinking that it would probably be easier to use one of the
alternative methods that the TX supports.  It supports:

Infrared:	This seems to work well enough for beaming events from my m515 (when
it's working) to the TX, and claims to be supported by the TX for actual
HotSync'ing, but I don't have an infrared port on my computer.  Based on the
information I've found via Google, however, it sounds like it would be fairly
simple to use a generic USB-to-IrDA adapter on Linux.

Bluetooth:	I have never used Bluetooth (although I considered it during my
kitten-proofing experience), and considering how new a technology it is, I
doubt it would work any better than USB, at least on non-Windows platforms.

Wi-Fi:	You would think that a Wi-Fi-enabled PDA would be able to sync over a
Wi-Fi network, or at least it would be able to read iCal-style shared
calendars (and thus do something vaguely resembling a HotSync).  But so far,
I can't find a way to do this.  Maybe if I was to put my faith in some
currently-unknown third-party aplpication for PalmOS...

As far as I can tell, the easiest and most reliable solution should be to use
a USB-to-IrDA adapter on the computer and try to HotSync using infrared.
Does this seem like a reasonable conclusion?  Anyone have experience with
IrDA on Linux, and/or HotSync'ing a PDA via infrared, that would be relevant?

(By the way, the Palm TX uses an external AC adapter for charging, so I'm not
worried that using a wireless method of sync'ing will make me forget to
charge it regularly.)

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of good news soon.

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email
/ \  Respect for open standards