[NBLUG/talk] "Connection refused" when remotely accessing my IMAP server

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 26 00:37:38 PST 2006

I think that my IMAP server is working properly, but something else on
my network is not.  I have no difficulty accessing my mail on my local
machine using a well-behaved mail application (I've switched from KMail
to Thunderbird for the time being), but if I try to access it from
anywhere other than my LAN, I get a "Connection refused" error.  And I'm
pretty sure that it's not an IMAP problem because the same thing happens
when I try to SSH into the server.

My router (a LinkSys box, non-wireless) is set up to do port forwarding
on ports 22 (for SSH) and 993 (for IMAPS).  I can tell that the server
is there (I can perform DNS lookups on it, and it responds to pings),
but it just refuses all connections.

The firewall on the server doesn't appear to be the culprit (I've even
tried temporarily disabling it), and my /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} files
are both empty.  Any ideas as to what else might be going wrong?

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>