[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:07:43 PST 2006

Hello,

My family is considering signing up for the cheap SBC Yahoo DSL
service. A Google search revealed a success story using the service
with Linux (apparently you need some Windows-only software to set up
the account, but not to connect once the account is set up).

What I would like to do is set up a home network, connect an old box
running Linux or BSD (probably Linux, at least until I have a chance
to get familiar with BSD) to the DSL line, and have it do IP
forwarding so all the other computers in the house can connect through
it.

I've never set up a network before. :-P Basically, I would appreciate
it if someone would tell me if what I'm planning is sane and point me
at some good reading material. A quick Google search pulled up some
articles that looked interesting, but only cover Linux 2.0/2.2. Any
better suggestions?

TIA,
William