[NBLUG/talk] WRT54G (or, "oh !$@*&$# -- I *missed* the key meeting(s)")

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Jan 12 09:21:26 PST 2006

> Is there any consensus as to what's "best" for various purposes on
> these units?

> What about the various Open-Source (and even closed-source)
> mod's to the wrt54g series?  Are there "more stable" and "less
> stable" things (other than running cutting-edge code always
> tends to be less-stable)?  Does one particular product offer more
> security?  Does another offer better performance?  Etc...

I only have experience with stock Linksys, Hyperwrt, and OpenWRT. Hyperwrt
is very much like stock Linksys in look and feel (has web interface).
OpenWRT comes stripped down, you telnet into it and add the packages you
need. So they are about as far apart as possible, Hyperwrt is for someone
who wants a Linksys box that works better, OpenWRT is for someone who
wants a little Linux box. Regarding stability, if you install OpenWRT I
would only install the newest release candidate. The development cycle on
these types of units is completely different from your standard Linux
distro - Hyperwrt, OpenWRT etc are all based upon Linksys code, and
Linksys does very little testing so the earlier releases are more buggy.

Cheerful regards,

Bob