[NBLUG/talk] Does Konqueror support 128-bit SSLv3?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 18 13:21:40 PST 2006

I just tried to log into the American Century website using Konqueror 3.5, and
I got an error message saying that my browser does not support 128-bit
encryption and SSLv3.  Specifically, it said:

American Century Investments requires you to use an internet browser that
supports 128-bit encryption and Secure Socket Layer v3 (SSL v3) to access
account information at americancentury.com.

The internet browser version you are using does not support 128-bit encryption
or SSL v3. Please upgrade your internet browser so you may continue to access
your account at americancentury.com.

The website proceeded to recommend that I use either Netscape, MSIE, or
Mozilla.

So I checked the "Crypto" settings in the Konqueror preferences, and counted
15 different 128-bit SSLv3 implementations that it supports.  Is it possible
that there is another 128-bit SSLv3 algorithm out there that that is
supported by the three aforementioned browsers but NOT by Konqueror, or is
the website more likely to be assuming that my browser doesn't support
128-bit SSLv3 because they've never heard of Konqueror before (in which case
I'll send a complaint to their webmaster)?

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email
/ \  Respect for open standards