[NBLUG/talk] Remote mail access

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 31 15:43:37 PST 2006

(One more thing I'd like to figure out while I'm trying to figure out
everything that's suddenly piled up on me...)

During the coming semester, I expect to be spending a lot of time away from my
home computer, so I'd like to find a way to access it remotely.  In
particular, I'm interested in remotely accessing my SBC e-mail (SBC's
web-based e-mail access doesn't play well with POP mail clients).

My current setup is:
* My primary computer, running Debian/Etch.
* Several other desktop computers I don't care about for this project.
* A LinkSys router/firewall that connects my LAN to the Internet.
* A MacBook Pro (don't ask), due to arrive some time next month.

My idea for remotely accessing my e-mail consists of:
1. Set up fetchmail so that my SBC mail is "fetched" to a local mailbox.
2. Set up a secure IMAP server to provide access to fetched mail.
3. Enable port forwarding on the router, so I can access the IMAPS server over
the Internet.  Maybe also enable port forwarding for SSH while I'm at it.
4. Set up DynDNS, so I don't have to keep track of my IP address manually.
5. (Optional) Configure eGroupware to access that same IMAPS service.

If this all works, I could then use the Mail application on my laptop to
access my e-mail no matter where I am.  And in case I find myself stranded
without my laptop but with access to a public terminal (e.g. a library
computer), I could use eGroupware (currently installed but not configured) on
the primary computer to access my e-mail via a web browser.  Furthermore, I
could SSH from my laptop into the desktop computer at any time and from
anywhere.

What would be the EASIEST* way to do all of this that doesn't compromise on
security?

* Why is easy so important?  Because I'm signed up for 19 units at SSU!

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Fuch's Warning:
	If you actually look like your passport photo, you aren't well
	enough to travel.

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email