[NBLUG/talk] XGL and Compiz

Stephen Cilley hydro_mancer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 17:54:17 PDT 2006

I ran it on my desktop machine (PIII 640 3.2 GHz, 1
gig RAM, GeForce 7800 GT) with Debian Etch.  I turned
it off when I realized its fatal flaw: you can't use
DRI it's on, meaning no serious modern gaming with xgl
running.  Also, I've heard that it's not so great with
ATi cards, and that it's nearly inoperable with KDE,
or really any desktop aside from gnome.
Anyway, it's lots of fun, but it really had to go.
There's only so much pretty one man can take.

Stephen Cilley