[NBLUG/talk] Outbound port filtering

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 11:21:50 PDT 2006

Hello,

I've been on a Bittorrent download binge since getting DSL up and running. :-)

However, I'm still dinking around with the firewall settings on my
Linksys. Inbound requests are all filtered out by default, which looks
good for now. However, no outbound requests are filtered at all by
default. I've been dinking around trying to figure out what ports to
block.

I finally hit a wall though--as far as I can tell, the firmware will
only let me block up to five sets of ports. That's not quite enough if
I want to take the approach I had in mind of essentially blocking
everything that I don't know that I need.

So, any thoughts on what ports really need to be blocked for a home
network or network security must-reads? Actually, I'm not entirely
sure what kind of attacks I would even be blocking this way, unless it
would be some trojans trying to "phone home".

I'm looking forward to the next meeting. :-)

William