[NBLUG/talk] Xorg, Debian/Etch, and nVidia... Finally working. :-)

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 15:19:36 PDT 2006

> So, you prefer straight Debian over Ubuntu now?
> Anything in particular that turned you off of Ubuntu?

I just never really switched all the way over to Ubuntu from Debian.
Ubuntu is great for Linux prosletyzing, but I tend to actually use
Debian for my day-to-day computing. I liked having my 20-odd disc set
of Debian CDs while I was on dial-up, but that's not much of a reason
any more now that I have DSL. Now I'm just being stubborn. ;-) (That,
and there's some software that's known to work on Ubuntu that I want
to try on Debian on that box.)

I have downloaded the Xubuntu image, and want to play with that. The
default Gnome desktop is just a touch more heavyweight than I like on
my laptop.

OK, I bounce back and forth between Debian and Ubuntu a lot these
days. :-) They both rock.

Back to Slackware/Vector... Is there any good way to get automounting
for removable media working under Vector Linux? I'm looking for
something like the new versions of KDE and Gnome have, but without
installing all of KDE or Gnome. :-P AutoFS looks like a maybe, and I
don't know of gnome-volume-manager will run without Gnome.

A friend of mine has been fighting Ubuntu on his laptop (I forget the
hardware specs, but its o-o-old, and Gnome is not happy). Vector
should be plenty fast enough, and has all the browser plugins and
video codecs he demands. However, he won't touch the command line to
save his life. I would need to find some way for him to at least be
able to use a USB thumbdrive without the command line. Ideas?

William