[NBLUG/talk] Xorg, Debian/Etch, and nVidia... Finally working. :-)

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:22:22 PDT 2006

Boot Debian Etch. Right-click on Xubuntu iso in Nautilus and select
burn option. Error message says "An error has occurred." Very helpful.
:-P Install K3B, which also fails but provides detailed error
log--cdrecord doesn't like 2.6 series kernels.

Install 2.4 kernel and reboot. X fails to start, "unable to load
module nvidia". Aaaargh! The nVidia module I installed is compiled for
2.6, and I don't feel like editing the xorg.conf file to not load it
right now.

Install Ubuntu. Mount Debian partition, right-click Xubuntu iso in
Nautilus and select burn option. Burn works perfectly. uname -r
reports "2.6.12-9-386".

So much for Debian's impeccable package selections. :-P

William