[NBLUG/talk] Server-side spam filtering?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 22 20:27:26 PDT 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 15:42, Mark Street wrote:
> Personally I use postfix, amavisd-new along with spamassassin and clamav,
> along with the web interface Maia Mailguard to do black and white lists,
> spam and ham, SA rule trigger %'s, etc.

This sounds much more complicated than what I need.  I just wanted to set up
my own IMAP server that can automatically retrieve mail from my SBC account
(which uses POP3) so that I can more easily access that e-mail from two
different computers.  My current setup (use getmail to save to a maildir
folder, then use Dovecot to access it via IMAP) seems to be more than
adequate for this.

> I also run a kolab2 groupware server with the same spam/av tools as stated
> above (except maia) with shared IMAP spam and ham folders.  For that one I
> create a filter in K-mail to route tagged SPAM into those folders.  Another
> script runs from a cron job, parses the mail in the spam and ham folders
> and learns from the mail placed into those folders.  Everyone can train SA
> by placing mail into these folders.

I actually considered Kolab, since although it would also be overkill, it
seemed easy to set up and provided a few groupware features I was also
interested in, but I ran into some really weird authentication problems after
I installed and configured it (and that's a topic for another thread).

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Never face facts; if you do you'll never get up in the morning.
		-- Marlo Thomas