[NBLUG/talk] Server-side spam filtering?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 22 21:14:07 PDT 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 18:31, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 02:59:15PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> } I've set up my computer to download e-mail from my SBC account to a
> maildir } folder (using getmail--a program that's similar to fetchmail but
> supports } maildir).  I can then access my e-mail using IMAP (running
> Dovecot), either } on the local system or on my laptop.  It seems to work
> fine except for spam } filtering--the mail applications on both computers
> offer spam-filtering, but } I don't think I'll get consistent results
> unless I can do spam-filtering on } the server side.
> }
> } Thus far, I've been able to configure getmail to pipe incoming mail
> through } SpamAssassin, so that incoming messages get the appropriate
> "Spam" headers } (and in the case of actual spam, the summary).  What I
> haven't figured out is } how to make it deliver spam to my "junk" folder
> instead of my inbox (right } now I've set up KMail to run the "Spam
> handling" filter on the inbox but not } the SpamAssassin check--at least
> for now it's keeping my inbox clean!).
>

> Filtering to a spambox after spamassassin/dspam/crm114 is
> usually done via procmail:
> :0

> Or something like that (this is mbox format, not mailbox format).

I think I understand what you're getting at, but it seems like an extra layer
of complexity that might not fit in amongst what I already have.  Ideally,
incoming messages would be sent to the junk folder instead of the inbox on
any occasion where they have the relevant spam header.  Unless I can either
configure getmail to do what you're describing for procmail, or I configure
procmail to do everything that getmail is doing now plus what you describe,
I'm not sure that procmail would be able to figure out which messages to
process in any efficient way.

Does this mean I'll have to resort to a more complicated system like the ones
Mark Street described?

Then again, since I have no prior experience with procmail, I may be
completely misreading your suggestion.

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly,
since it has no ears.
		-- Marcus Porcius Cato