[NBLUG/talk] Crypt Filesystems

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Jul 25 14:59:21 PDT 2006

Oh, my current software mounts the removable drive (actually it sets it up
first) and then backs up to it using rsync and then unmounts. It does this
at midnight. So at any point I have a yesterday backup on site and a week
old backup at a remote location.

So my big problem is that loop-aes seems to want you to live enter a
passphrase when it mounts a encrypted disk. I'd imagine I could pipe in
the passphrase if the software won't allow it to be turned off. I'd then
keep a couple CDs (send them home with the bosses) with the key and
passphrase. So to put things back together I'd need one of the CDs and one
of the backup disks.

Unfortunately I still don't seem to be able to hot swap the dirves. The
drive bay manufacture says some controlers are happy to do it and some
aren't. Guess I'm unlucky. I wonder if I could buy a happy controler card
and make it work that way.