[NBLUG/talk] Crypt Filesystems

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Jul 26 16:09:12 PDT 2006

>> Ack. I was going through the example 2 Partition backed loop with gpg
>> encrypted key file and got "/dev/loop3: No such file or directory" did I
>> miss something?
>>

> Let's get some context here?
>
> Can you include what you did to build and install loop-aes? What are the
> steps that led you to this error?
>
> Regards,
> Jacob

Sure.
I used apt-get to install loop-aes-utils and module-assistant (already
installed)
I used module-assistant to install loop-aes and aes-ciphers-source
I had to use the fakesource as it said my source was only headers.

from there I attemtped to follow these instructions:
<begin>
Create 65 random encryption keys and encrypt those keys using gpg. Reading
from /dev/random may take indefinitely long if kernel's random entropy pool
is empty. If that happens, do some other work on some other console (use
keyboard, mouse and disks). Use of gpg encrypted key file depends on
encrypted swap.

    head -c 2925 /dev/random | uuencode -m - | head -n 66 | tail -n 65 \
        | gpg --symmetric -a >/a/usbstick/keyfile.gpg

Fill the partition with random looking data. "dd" command may take a while
to execute if partition is large.

    head -c 15 /dev/urandom | uuencode -m - | head -n 2 | tail -n 1 \
        | losetup -p 0 -e AES128 /dev/loop3 /dev/hda666
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/loop3 bs=4k conv=notrunc 2>/dev/null
    losetup -d /dev/loop3
<end>

but on the second head... line entry I get the /dev/loop does not exist.
On looking I don't have any /dev/loopX, but I do have a /dev/loop/0 which
I assume must be something else as it doesn't seem to work ethier.