[NBLUG/talk] Recommendations for journalling filesystems?

Lincoln Peters petersl at sonoma.edu
Thu Jul 27 00:27:00 PDT 2006

I now know that ReiserFS is not a practical option for a journalling
filesystem, if for no other reason due to its inadequate recovery
tools (I don't know enough about filesystems to debate any other
technical merits it may or may not have).  So I ask my fellow NBLUG
members: what journalling filesystems have you used, and which (if
any) would you recommend?

I seem to remember brief discussion on the list about ext3 and XFS in
the context of ReiserFS's inadequacies, and as far as I can tell by
searching my own archives of those discussions  (stored on my laptop,
which still works), I see two votes for ext3 (Bob, Andrew) and one
vote for XFS (Kyle).  I know that JFS is also out there, but I've
heard nothing about it, and my research is hindered by the fact that
Google seems to be having problems tonight (how ironic is THAT?)!

As far as I can tell thus far, the respective merits of each
journalling filesystem are (I used Wikipedia to fill in as many of
the gaps in my knowledge as I could):

ext3:
Mature, proven, has excellent recovery tools, but slower and less
efficient than other journalling filesystems.  According to
WIkipedia, the structure of ext3 may lack some of the more modern
features of other filesystems, but at the same time this simpler
structure makes data recovery easier on ext3.

XFS:
Better performance than ext3, very mature on IRIX, but not quite as
mature on Linux as ext3 (not sure if the difference is significant,
though).  I also see mention on Wikipedia that it has compatibility
issues between 32-bit and 64-bit environments (not sure if this might
come back to haunt me or not--I've been known to replace the CPU and
motherboard on a system and keep virtually everything else), and it's
almost impossible to recover deleted files from it (i.e. be extra
careful with the "rm -rf" command!!!).

JFS:
No mention of  it on this list within recent memory.  According to
Wikipedia: "According to reviews and benchmarks of the available
filesystems for Linux, JFS is fast and reliable, with consistently
good performance under different kinds of load, contrary to other
filesystems that seem to perform better under particular usage
patterns, for instance with small or large files. Another
characteristic often mentioned, is that it's light and efficient with
available system resources and even heavy disk activity is realised
with low CPU usage."  It sounds good, but might be too obscure for
regular use (it's never good when you run into an error and can't
find anyone who knows how to fix it...).

ReiserFS:
A few nice ideas, and excellent performance with small files, but the
recovery tools are so incredibly weak that I no longer consider it a
practical option.  I doubt anyone here will question me on this issue.

Reiser4:
Does not comply with the coding standards of the Linux kernel, and
thus has not been adopted in the standard Linux kernel.  I consider
that alone sufficient reason not to trust it with mission-critical
data, notwithstanding the problems faced by its predecessor (ReiserFS).

--
Lincoln "The DiskBuster" Peters
<petersl at sonoma.edu>

O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's Law: