[NBLUG/talk] Recommendations for journalling filesystems?

Lincoln Peters petersl at sonoma.edu
Thu Jul 27 13:42:43 PDT 2006

On Jul 27, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Troy Arnold wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:44:24PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
>>
>> I don't quite deal with hundreds of thousands of files in a single
>> directory, but I do sometimes deal with directories containing a few
>> hundred files.  And I do have a few directories with some large
>> files, although I don't have anything on the scale of MythTV video.
>
> A few hundred files is not an issue.

Actually, when I wrote the last message, I'd forgotten about the
Maildir I'm storing my e-mail in (and I store over ten thousands
messages in it!).  Although that's still not on the same scale that
Eric was describing.

>> Notifications of potential problems:	Isn't this more or less what
>> S.M.A.R.T. does?  I think I can use smartd to do periodic checks on
>> all the hard drives.
>
> smartd is a handy tool.  It's warned me of impending doom at least
> twice
> tha I can remember. Like anything that logs/sends email, you have to
> configure it to ignore the irrelevant stuff, or you risk training
> yourself
> to ignore smartd's warnings.

Good point.  Actually, I seem to remember that the default settings
never seemed to generate e-mails about irrelevant stuff, although
I'll have to revisit it to make sure it's not ignoring anything
important.

>> Suddenly these assumptions don't seem so far out of reach now.  And
>> if Debian supports XFS, that might just make XFS a viable option...
>
> It is supported in Debian, along with robust recovery tools.  I'm
> using XFS
> on my data array currently.  I chose XFS primarily because I deal with
> large (1GB +) files.

That might become an issue if I end up using it to burn DVD's, record
or edit video, etc.  And with me, it's nearly impossible to predict
how I'll be using it in the future!

--
Lincoln "The DiskBuster" Peters
<petersl at sonoma.edu>