[NBLUG/talk] video card compatibility

Sean Van Couwenberghe seanvanco at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 09:49:51 PDT 2006

It has been awhile since I have used Linux (Redhat mostly, back in the
7.x days), but I have been getting back into it over the last two
months with Gentoo.

I am building a new system to install Mandriva, and possibly later
Gentoo, and I am concerned about video card compatability. I do not
know what PCI or PCI-E cards work with Linux these days. I am looking
for something low-cost (that will only display text), but that does
not eat up system RAM. I could pick a handful and research them, but
that could take a huge amount of time.

Any suggestions, or sites where I could look this up myself? Thank you
for being there for questions.

Sean