[NBLUG/talk] I hate perl. :-)

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 9 00:17:06 PDT 2006

William Tracy wrote:
> Well, thanks. Almost all of my recent coding has been in Java, so I
> tend a bit towards the standard Java coding conventions.
>
> A big chunk of the things I did "wrong" were just basic unfamiliarity
> with Perl. :-P

I think this is normal when learning ANY new language.  I've been trying
to learn AppleScript (long story), and I've been repeatedly frustrated
by many of its conventions.  One thing that particularly annoys me is
that strings (8-bit ASCII text) and Unicode text (sort of like 16-bit
strings) are separate data types, are seem to be used interchangeably in
a lot of applications, and yet they are NOT interchangeable (any attempt
to use one as if it were the other yields a run-time error).  I guess
it's not a big deal once you get used to it.

And one thing I have to say about Java: I've done a lot of coding in
C++, and I have to say that Java's tendency to treat null strings as if
they were strings containing the word "null" is very annoying...

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

I'm pretending that we're all watching PHIL SILVERS instead of RICARDO
MONTALBAN!