[NBLUG/talk] Linux for media player system

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:41:18 PDT 2006

I am curious about your desire to use "flash" ram as your hard drive.
Due to the nature of flash ram, this is impossible, unless you mean a
USB key or other external device. Flash drives cannot be written to
dynamically (at the will of the OS instead of running a flash utility
to change the memory's contents). Unless you are willing to use a
memory-resident only type of Linux (such as a Live CD of some sort)
written to the flash memory card and runs completely in RAM, what you
want to do cannot work.

If anyone knows of a way to accomplish this allowing the OS to
dynamically write to the flash memory, I will be very interested to
hear it.

Sean