[NBLUG/talk] php 4 vs. php 5 -- which to use? how to maintain?

Steve Johnson gnuguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 09:37:15 PST 2006

Just my thoughts on PHP4 and FC4.

I followed all the walk throughs I could find on the fedoraforums on
how to down grade from PHP5 to PHP4 and non of them worked, I used the
FC3 RPMs and still ran into dependency problems, some of them I just
did not want to deal with (Required downgrading a bunch of libraries),
so  I ended up just sticking with PHP5, and making my code run with
it.

The main problem I ran into with PHP4 vs PHP5 was with PEAR, there are
some include files for pear that just do not exist in the PHP5 version
of pear, that were there for PHP4.  This ran me into some crazy
problems with an app that was developed where I work.  I came up with
a weird work around for it.

If I had to re-visit this issue, and PHP4 was a must have, which
considering the time I put into this, it should have been a must have
;).  I think I would stick wiht a distro that supports PHP4 and has no
plans to go to 5 for  a while.

-Steve

--
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu