[NBLUG/talk] How to check the FS

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Wed Mar 15 13:01:15 PST 2006

On Wed, March 15, 2006 09:32, E Frank Ball wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:52:50AM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
>
> } I have RH Enterprise (Centos) running on a server and I would like to
> } run CKFS with the FS unmounted.  Since the system boots up in the
> } GUI, I am not sure about the best way to unmount the FS.
> }
> } Todd
>
> If it works like Redhat used to: type "init 3" as root
> and it will kill the GUI and drop to console mode.
> When finished "init 5" will get you back.

Of course, that's only the GUI -- at run-level 3 the FS is still mounted,
right?

Check your run-levels -- there may be one that has the features you want.
Otherwise, a Live CD (as previously suggested) sounds like a good way to
go.  You can even get a Fedora Core Live, IIRC, and that would likely have
"maximum" compatibility with your Centos system...

- Steve S.