[NBLUG/talk] Printing problems in Linux

David shadoweyez at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 19:43:38 PST 2006

Hi all

Using gentoo linux (2.6.12.5) with a USB Epson Stlyus Color C66 (similar to the
C64) printer, with USB print support compiled into the kernel.  I installed
gimp-print/Gutenprint 4.2.7 and CUPS 1.1.23 and can start and access the cups
server web GUI at localhost:631.

I then set up the printer as a local printer on USB port #1 (and multiple others
just in case) with the Epson Photo Stylus Driver, and made sure the KDE print
manager saw the printer entry.  The problem is that when I try to print anything
in an application, the printer does not print.  The job queue says there is a
job in the queue, and the /var/log/cups/error.log says there is a job in
process, but does not give any error messages.

It's as if all the software works, but the printer just sits there.  The printer
itself works fine on Windows.  I don't understand where gimp-print fits into the
whole process, but I think I'm missing something here.  Does any one have
pointers or references?

TIA,
~David~