[NBLUG/talk] FC4 ppc iBook - External USB keyboard (sort of)

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Mar 24 18:34:11 PST 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> Dave Sisley wrote:
>
>> First problem is that an iBook has no ps2 plugs, so I have tried a
>> ps2->usb adapter and I've also got a cable from the scanner
>> manufacturer that replaces the ps2 cable with a usb cable.  But I
>> can't get the iBook to read any input.
>> I've googled a bit, but haven't found anything yet.  I'm guessing
>> this is a mac thing, related to the fact that you can't plug in an
>> 'intel' usb keyboard to a Mac and expect it to work, but it will read
>> from a Mac usb keyboard.  It may be I'm not using the right terms.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
>

> I used to have an iBook G3 running MacOS X, and I used it fairly
> regularly when I shopped at the Computer Recycling Center to test USB
> keyboards.  It worked perfectly too many times for me to suspect that
> a non-Macintosh USB keyboard would not work with a Macintosh.
>
> Then again, I never tried using a USB-to-PS/2 adapter on it, so that
> might have something to do with the problem.

Hmmm... Thanks for the responses, guys.  I'll have to do some more
research, but I'm wondering if there's something I need to tweak in FC4
on the ibook to make it accept input from the scanner?  I was  hoping it
would just think there was a keyboard there and suck up the barcode.
I'd have thought FC4 would just think that I had attached an external
keyboard, no?

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley