[NBLUG/talk] Extremely poor network performance

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 27 20:58:43 PST 2006

Aaron Grattafiori wrote:
> I know that on my FreeBSD server, I have some crappy no-name NIC card in
> it.. and if im transferring a lot of files it will go really fast, then
> kinda stall and die (it goes into store and forward says dmesg). So..
> check your logs.. then you might try switching network cards or something.
> Process of elimiation is probably the "default route" (haha). I highly
> doubt it has anything to do with the OS.

When I restarted the network, the problems disappeared completely (at
least for now), which pretty much eliminates cabling as a possible
cause. Thus, my "crappy no-name NIC card" seems the most likely
explanation.  However, this NIC is soldered into the motherboard, so I
don't expect to be swapping it out any time soon (although I certainly
might disable it and install a better one!).

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Some people need a good imaginary cure for their painful imaginary ailment.