[NBLUG/talk] Perl vs other scripting methods

Steve Johnson fratm at adnd.com
Mon May 8 08:38:24 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:09:16AM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> Some years ago when I was working as a DBA, I used Perl to do things
> like nightly backups.  But time has flown by and I have not used Perl in
> over 15 years and now need to write some simple scripts.  Should I break
> out the Perl book (I assume it would still be good enough) or should I
> learn another scripting language?  As I recall, Perl and Php are similar
> and I am fairly proficient with Php.

I say stick with PERL for shell scripting.  You will probably find that
you pick it back up pretty quick, probably faster than learning a new
langauge.

My personal rule of thumb is PERL=SHELL STUFF, PHP=WEB STUFF

-Steve

--
 "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment." - Lao-Tzu
 |C8H10N4O2|