[NBLUG/talk] Remotes

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 24 22:41:37 PDT 2006

Stephen Cilley wrote:
> I've been watching a lot of videos on my laptop via my
> TV recently and it occurred to me that it might
> simplify my life if I could buy a USB remote control.
> Even something as simple as a button that acts as the
> space bar from 10 feet away would be alright, but it'd
> be even better if I could get the arrow keys as well.
> So I'm looking for anecdotes of good experiences with
> such devices under GNU/Linux.

If you want to get it as simple as possible, why not just get a wireless
keyboard?  Admittedly it's a much bulkier solution than a remote
control, but it would require no drivers and work with pretty much
everything; a standard RF keyboard would appear to the system just like
a standard USB or PS/2 keyboard, or a Bluetooth keyboard would be
supported by the Bluetooth drivers included in the stock kernel
(although I haven't actually tried it!).

The most you might need to do is assign some more convenient keyboard
shortcuts to various keys.  I don't know what software you're using, but
I know that Kaffeine makes this very easy.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

She liked him; he was a man of many qualities, even if most of them were bad.