[NBLUG/talk] I hate perl. :-)

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 31 13:39:21 PDT 2006

I'm surprised that, in the 2 days or so since this discussion began,
nobody has made reference to the virtues of the Perl DBI
<http://dbi.perl.org/>.  In the database class I took this Spring at
SSU, I figure that the entire mess of JSP and Java code I had to write
for my front-end application could have been done in less than 100 lines
of Perl code.

Although to be fair, I've been told that there is now a DBI for PHP,
which could reduce the amount of code even further, but I haven't tried
to use it (I need to learn PHP first!).

(Why would anyone use JSP over Perl or PHP?  I don't know; I've heard
arguments that JSP is faster, but the way I see it, if you're trying to
justify the use of anything based on Java for reasons of performance,
then something is horribly wrong!)

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>