[NBLUG/talk] I hate perl. :-)

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 31 19:42:57 PDT 2006

Troy Arnold wrote:
> I've mentioned this before, but I like the adodb database abstraction
> layer: <http://phplens.com/adodb/>

Interesting.

>> (Why would anyone use JSP over Perl or PHP?  I don't know; I've heard
>> arguments that JSP is faster, but the way I see it, if you're trying to
>> justify the use of anything based on Java for reasons of performance,
>> then something is horribly wrong!)
>>

> Well, with JSP you have possibility of having a persistent  application
> that completely skips the whole dynamic compilation phase.

That still seems rather silly, since Java code needs to be run in a
virtual machine and so will still take a performance hit.  If you're
looking for performance, wouldn't it make more sense to compile it into
the machine's native code?

> You also have
> the advantage (esp. as compared to PHP) of a much more consistent and
> organized language.  Basically Java is a designed language vs. the
> grown/hacked on mess of inconsistency that PHP is.

Fair enough, although I have yet to run into a web application that was
so complex that this would have made any difference.  All in good time,
I suppose...

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.
		-- Groucho Marx