[NBLUG/talk] Filesystem recommendation for a large external drive

Barry Stump barry.stump at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 16:03:05 PST 2006

I have recently acquired a large (500Gb) external USB drive, which I
wish to use with both linux and OS X.  It came with a single FAT32
partition, but what with the inefficiencies of large FAT32 partitions,
as well as problems I'm encountering with command line tools (e.g.
running "df -h" just hangs), I'd like to replace it with a better
performing file system that is friendly to both operating systems.
Any suggestions?  I don't mind installing packages on either system,
provided they are stable enough for daily use.

-Barry