[NBLUG/talk] Re: [vox] [fwd] Hans Reiser in police custody

Dean A. Roman droman at romansystems.com
Thu Oct 12 18:02:06 PDT 2006

Walter Hansen wrote:

>>Steve Johnson wrote:
>>It's pretty amazing to me that the response from the so called
>>"community" is to condemn him without seeing any facts, to make jokes
>>about the entire situation and basically act as if he's scum because the
>>police "usually arrest people for murder for a reason."
>>

>It's really no different than your next door neighbor getting arrested. We
>really don't know the guy. We really don't know if he is guilty or
>Innocent. The only reason people want to help support legal funds for
>arrested people is because they are 'celebrities'. Donating money like
>that gives you a chance to participate in something bigger than yourself.
>When did we see the last legal fund for a Latin man accused of a gang
>murder? From my point of view if I have no idea of the mans innocence, I
>have no business whatsoever contributing to any legal defense fund. I
>could just as easily be putting my money up to try and put a murderer on
>the street as free an innocent man. He'll face the courts just as everyone
>else does. He'll get his fair shake. Even appointed council is not bad,
>but paid is generally better. If he and his family have the money I'm sure
>they'll invest it in him if they believe he did not do it. Myself I didn't
>even know that's why the file system was named that.

It's just too early to pick a side, donate, or support.
I'm more than happy to do what I can, regardless of the "linux
community", for somebody that I truly believe is innocent and needs MY
help, based on facts.
However, in this case I just don't have ANY facts supporting either
conclusion except he is responsible for the reiser file system, he likes
linux, and he was arrested.
Pretty week evidence to support helping put somebody back on the street
that may be a murderer, OR for putting somebody in jail that may be
innocent.
I fully understand how police will arrest without real justification as
I had a buddy in college arrested for throwing water balloons at the
girls dorm to get the attention of a girl he liked.
The police didn't like his "attitude", so they took him to jail and
charged him with a drive by shooting....which technically applied(it
reads something like ...propelling an object into/at any structure...).
He was later released, after spending a few days in jail and getting
knocked around a bit, with some bruises and community service.
Our system of justice isn't perfect, but it's important to give it a
chance to work.

Plus, the guy could have plenty of money with many times my measly lucre.