[NBLUG/talk] Strange problem with Fedora Core 5 (font problem?) ...

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-nblug_talk at taltos.com
Fri Oct 13 16:39:43 PDT 2006

Hi folks,

I've been running Redhat-based distributions for several years - first
Redhat 9, then FC2, FC3, FC4, and now FC5.  It's been relatively problem
free.

But now I have a problem that's stumped me.  I think I have some sort of
font problem (maybe?), but I'm unsure.

The "metal" stuff (i.e. terminal windows, ssh, etc) all work fine.

When I try and log in via the console to GNOME, the "root" account seems
to work, but no user accounts work properly (the text for the menus are
all screwed up).

The actual console itself is screwed up as well, and looks like this:

    https://webdav.taltos.com/fc5.jpg

So instead of text, I get white blocks.  All menus (when I log in) have
white blocks as well, and all dialog boxes have white boxes.

Any ideas at all?  I'd hate to reinstall the box if I could possibly fix
it ...

    Thanks!

    -- Jeff