[NBLUG/talk] Display resolution in Ubuntu Desktop

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Sun Apr 1 09:09:43 PDT 2007

I've installed Ubuntu Desktop 6.10 on a desktop tower machine.  The machine is one of four that share a keyboard, video, and mouse via an IOGear MiniView 4-port KVM switch.  Whenever I boot the Ubuntu machine and the KVM switch is servicing that machine, 10 different screen resolutions are available, including the one I prefer, 1280 x 1024.  Whenever I boot the Ubuntu machine and the KVM switch is NOT servicing that machine, only 2 screen resolutions are available, neither of which is appealing.  These are 800 x 600, and 640 x 480.

Does anyone have an idea how I might force the screen resolution to be 1280 x 1024 on the Ubuntu machine, even though the KVM switch is servicing a different computer at the time the Ubuntu machine boots?

The display monitor is a Dell 18" UltraSharp flat screen.

Thanks in advance...SteveB