[NBLUG/talk] top output help

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Apr 25 12:18:26 PDT 2007

> On 4/25/07, Walter Hansen <gandalf at sonic.net> wrote:
>> I'm really not familiar with ether, so I'd think I'd probably be better
>> off coding it in C (which I haven't written in in years and never on a
>> *ix
>> machine), but I'd loose the quick modification times that perl gives.
>> I'm
>> using telnet connections, timing and file writing as well as generating
>> email.
>>
>> Any perl/c coders interested in coding 1140 lines of perl into c?
>>

> Funny, I was just going to make this suggestion.. A couple advantages
> of writing the code in C are 1) It does not have to load the
> interpreter for every run, and 2) C can but Mucho faster, because it
> is compiled.
>
> -Steve

I had originally intended to re-code in c once I had things worked out in
perl, but speed turned out to be an insignificant factor and memory was
not a factor for some time. Memory is cheaper than re-programming. Hmm,
hardware is cheaper than software.

--
This would be real cute NSFW tagline, but I'm married and would get killed.