[NBLUG/talk] UPS for brownouts

Dean Roman droman at romansystems.com
Sun Aug 12 20:50:01 PDT 2007

William,

  Check the higher end APC UPS's...smartups, etc.  I've been using the
3000VA Smartups for years and they deal with brownouts very
nicely...last time we had rolling blackouts they were actually more like
rolling brownouts and my APC's held up nicely.  I frequently get
messages about the UPS's correcting for low voltage situations from some
of my clients UPS's that are connected to lines with AC units and the
like.

Thanks,
    ---Dean.

William Tracy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My sister is heading off to Tennessee with my old laptop. We've been
> told that the area she's going has frequent power outages, power
> spikes, and brownouts.
>
> The laptop has a battery with 2-4 hours of life (depending on, among
> other things, whether Linux or Windows is booted...) so we're good for
> power outages. We have a power strip with a heavy-duty surge
> protector, so we're good for power spikes. What I'm still worried
> about is brownouts.
>
> Does anybody have any good recommendations for UPSes that will protect
> against damage from brownouts? Best Buy just wants to sell something
> based on how long the battery will last after the power goes
> completely out. That's not what we need. :-P
>
> I don't care if she finds herself without power for the computer for a
> few hours. What I care about is her winding up in the middle of
> nowhere with a computer with a dead motherboard. :-(
>
> Thanks,
> William

Dean A. Roman