[NBLUG/talk] Lost Windows 2000 from Dual Boot machine

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Dec 14 10:00:48 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:54:17AM -0800, Peter Lutz wrote:
> Thanks for your instant response, Kyle.
> My gparted modifications were all at the other end of the disk.
> I originally partitioned Windows, Debian (or Ubuntu, can't recall),
> a swap partition, the other Linux, and a 200Gbyte ext3 shareable
> partition.  I was only reducing the size of the 200Gbyte ext3
> partition, which was not at the top of the disk.  There is still
> some free space.  Unfortunately, gparted seg faulted during the
> operation, so I'm not sure what all happened.  I didn't notice it
> for a week or two until I tried to boot windows.  Everything seemed
> to be working fine on the two Linux systems (and still does.)
>
> Peter
>
> Kyle Rankin wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:28:53AM -0800, Peter Lutz wrote:
> >> Good morning.
> >>
> >> I was messing with gparted on a dual (actually triple) boot machine.
> >> I got some of the partitioning changed as I wished, but now Windoz does
> >> not boot.  Both Ubuntu 7.10 and Debian Testing boot and run perfectly,
> >> and I can mount and read the Windows files from either Linux system just
> >> fine.  When I try to boot Windows, the splash screen comes up just fine.
> >> The blue bar starts across the screen, but about half way across I get a
> >> blue screen saying    stop: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE    a bunch of hex
> >> numbers and some suggestions for fixing things.  Suggestions are:
> >> Check for viruses.  That is very unlikely, as I seldom run Windows and
> >> don't do virus kinds of things.  Mostly I run my old GPS map programs.
> >> Remove new hardware.  There is none.  The system has been working fine
> >> for six months.
> >> Check HD for proper termination and configuration.  Well, yes, the
> >> config seems to have changed.  Termination is fine.
> >> Run CHKDSK /F to check for HD corruption.  How, on a broken computer?
> >> The box has no floppy drive, although I could put one in.
> >>
> >> AMD64X2, 2GByte ram, 400GByte disk, difficult Nvidia card (requires a
> >> new module set whenever I build a new kernel).
> >>
> >> The boot system is GRUB, which seems to be working just fine with the
> >> Linux systems.
> >>
> >> My question is: is this fixable without trashing the whole system?
> >> Windows was the first system installed.  If I re-install windows, will
> >> I loose access to the Linux?
> >>
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> Peter
> >> --
> >> Peter Lutz AA6AV
> >> Meaning is homemade.
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > So you said you were "messing with gparted" but what exactly did you mess
> > with. Did you resize your Windows partition at all (specifically did you
> > shrink it?)

In that case you probably need to resort to the windows recovery tools. If
it's windows 2000 the boot cd booted into "recovery mode" should be able to
do a fixboot and repair things. If you have XP they essentially do an
install on top of your old windows install. In either case you might have
to follow up with a Linux repair disk to restore grub, as the windows disk
will probably wipe out the boot code in your MBR and replace it.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org