[NBLUG/talk] [WLUG] Speakers

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Fri Dec 14 11:49:52 PST 2007

a sound card cannot drive more than headphones or really tiny speakers
without amplification.

most "computer speakers" (anything with a power cord) are amplified
internally.

If you are trying to use speakers from your old stereo you'll need
to use the receiver/amp from your old stereo too.  Send the line
out from the sound card to any of the inputs on the receiver, except
don't use a phono input.

You'll need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and a pair
of RCA plugs on the other.  Any computer or audio store will have
one if you don't already.

Like this:

  http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/CC399-05_LR.jpg