[NBLUG/talk] Kubuntu v. Ubuntu

Bob Blick bbblick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 15:27:35 PST 2007

The only difference is the default desktop - KDE on Kubuntu, and Gnome
on Ubuntu.

But choosing one doesn't stop you from using programs designed for the
other, because libraries for both are installed by default. It basically
just comes down to which desktop you are happiest with.

The setup, preferences and package manager tools have both Gnome and KDE
versions, so the user experience is pretty much correspondingly complete.

You can also later add the other desktop, and switch back and forth if
you like(though each stores user preferences differently).

I also hear that Kubuntu moves some things around to be more in line
with Ubuntu, so if you're used to standard KDE things may be a little
different, but I've used Kubuntu for 2.5 years and everything seems fine
to me.

I also think KDE still uses more resources than Gnome, so if you have a
slow processor or limited RAM you might get a better experience with Gnome.

Cheerful regards,

Bob