[NBLUG/talk] RAID?

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 10:57:51 PST 2007

This may be simplistic, but just make the partitions on each physical disk the same size?  It'll leave extra space on some of the drives, but you can lump those into another RAID volume if you so desire and don't mind the performance hit of two volumes' stripes on the same physical drive(s).

Hey!  What if you created another abstraction layer that would join the two RAIDs into a single volume?  Totally Rube-Goldberg-esque, but an interesting way to use all available disk space...

Lincoln Peters <anfrind at gmail.com> wrote: On Dec 31, 2007 10:23 AM, Kyle Rankin  wrote:
> Just wanted to comment on this point, actually these days mdadm can grow
> RAID-5 arrays by adding a partition (and there was a tool to do it on
> old-style linux software RAID as well). I've successfully done it to grow
> RAID5s both with the old-style tool and with mdadm as part of testing for
> Knoppix Hacks and while it took some time it did work.

Cool.  I set up that RAID system a few years ago, but I haven't been
paying attention to new developments in the Linux RAID tools (since
what I had worked so well).

Now if only I could have a setup that would provide a comparable blend
of capacity and redundancy to RAID-5, without requiring all the disks
to be the same size.  Do you know of a way to do THAT?

--
Lincoln Peters